Is anyone preparing for the possible pandemic?

Place to discuss off topic things..
Jefferson1977
Curing

Is anyone preparing for the possible pandemic?

Post by Jefferson1977 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:32 pm

Just to ensure I can feed my neighbours and Friends if it comes down to it I went out to Walmart today and got about 45 lbs of white rice and about the same in red kidney beans. It's always nice to be prepared and if you can afford to have a bit extra to feed your neighbours and friends that's always wise. Hopefully we don't have to deal with any pandemic but the food won't go to waste at any rate. I also made sure all the gas cans were filled up. When they quarantine 400 million people I think you can be quite sure it's not for the common flu.
So many strains, so little time...

Jefferson1977
Curing

Re: Is anyone preparing for the possible pandemic?

Post by Jefferson1977 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:34 pm

The other thing is you never know when you will be in enforced quarantine...

Saboo
Drying

Post by Saboo » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:15 am

I'm always ready to look after me and mine. If there is extra after that, it's a case by case situation. I'll help someone, but I won't support them.
:geek: Plant Pimp in Training :geek:

Jefferson1977
Curing

Post by Jefferson1977 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:47 am

Sounds fair. I'm afraid of what might be. I hope the best for humanity. I believe the best of us.

Growerofmids
Vegging

Post by Growerofmids » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:50 pm

I love rice,but thats a whole lot oh rice 😮 I was a journeyman cook by trade in the day.My freezers are packed with meat,always stocked up on dry goods..homemade spag sauce and preserves.I have a big soft heart,it will depend whom you are for me too share

Jefferson1977
Curing

Post by Jefferson1977 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:37 pm

Check out the sulphur dioxide content in the air coming from Wuhan...https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... passengers

Jefferson1977
Curing

Post by Jefferson1977 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:52 pm

I consider myself somewhat of a preparer and although I have some antibiotics in the freezer I decided to get more due to supply chain disruptions I believe are coming that will be with us for a while. Most of our antibiotic come from China FYI. Anyways if you don't have time or inclination to go to the doctor you can get some products out of the US for animals like Fish Mox which only ingredient is Amoxicillin 500 mg caps (same dose your doctor would give you) made by Thomas Labs. I'm not advocating anyone take this, but if you are at home under quarantine suffering from secondary infections that would kill you without antibiotics, and no medical help is forthcoming, then hell ya I'd take them.

Freedom Seed
Sprout

Post by Freedom Seed » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:22 pm

I’d be real skeptical about fish antibiotics. Sure it will have 500 mg of amoxicillin but what else. There are huge differences in purity even from brand to brand of pharma products, and they aren’t very worried about getting sued by a fish.

If I get it the first thing I’m taking is oregano oil. It works on every other virus I’ve tried it on. Knocks ‘em right dead. If the taste is too much it is equally effective to take it through the skin transdermally.

For external infections colloidal silver has a 100% fatal effect on any microbe. Easily made in your kitchen.

Freezer/pantry is always full and I know where there is lots of meat still standing on the hoof. We are always ready. I rely on no man.

Freedom Seed
Sprout

Post by Freedom Seed » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:35 pm

That link to the zerohedge page is real good.

odam2k
Curing

Post by odam2k » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:25 am

I was always confident that I, and my family, would stand a pretty good chance in any large scale disaster. Not a "prepper", but lot's of dual use type stuff that would help out. I practically grew up in the woods, so pretty confident, but now that I'm older, and tired, and sore, I'm like, just how hard do I want to work to survive?

If it's a matter of the power being out for a while, no problem, but once it gets to fighting off neighbors for food, etc, and man has turned against man, and nobody is doing their jobs any more, so no infrastructure at all... well, you get the idea. I'd rather just have a poison pill on hand than a storehouse of food and medicine, that I don't have the strength to fight for any more.

Freedom Seed
Sprout

Post by Freedom Seed » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:18 pm

I figure people have been trying to kill me all my life anyways, so I’m in it until the end. 110%.

Anyone that has read the stories of living in troubled times will know that money will not be worth shit compared to food, medicine and guns. If you have these three things you will have no shortage of friends to help you out.

Jefferson1977
Curing

Post by Jefferson1977 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:07 pm

Glad I stocked up on TP I went to Walmart today and it was all gone. And I live in the middle of nowhere.

odam2k
Curing

Post by odam2k » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:20 pm

we always buy a months supply of everything at a time, since we get paid monthly, but I'm worried next month there may not be much left, so I told the wife that she should keep a watch for TP (she says they only have 6 packs at Walmart right now)

zoicster
Drying

Post by zoicster » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:38 am

Crazy eh? It is not like you can eat it. We have a few packs and when we cannot buy anymore we have lots of wash cloths and running water. My buddy said there is no TP in the store and the cash registers are jammed packed with Chinese people trying to clean out the store. No surprise really since all the news reports are from a bunch of sensational journalist who seem to be too interested in bytes and could care less about anyone but themselves.
I never thought when I grew old that I would be a grumpy curmudgeon but here I am KILLING IT.

Saboo
Drying

Post by Saboo » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:15 pm

I find this so strange. What so many people are doing now is SOP for me and has been for years. I generally have enough of the basics to last for months. The basics: rice, beans, toilet paper, ibuprofen, canned vegetables, etc require no refrigeration and are far cheaper in bulk. It amazes me the resources that people waste running to a convenience store for every little thing, or the people who wait until they actually run out of a vital product before replenishing the supply..

As long as utilities stay on, I have no immediate concerns. Also, I have enough propane and water to get me through a short term service disruption. I can eat, drink, stay clean and warm with no outside assistance for a while.
The way I look at it, that has me covered. In a longer term scenario, I figure we're all fucked anyway. It's a coin toss on whether we will eat or be eaten. ;)

Stay safe, gents.

Jefferson1977
Curing

Post by Jefferson1977 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:19 pm

I'm the same way Saboo. Got enough of the basics, frankly when the GF gets here in a few days we are going into isolation for a while. Let's hope saner heads prevail. Have you seen the markets lately? Bloodbath.

Saboo
Drying

Post by Saboo » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:00 pm

Jefferson1977 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:19 pm
I'm the same way Saboo. Got enough of the basics, frankly when the GF gets here in a few days we are going into isolation for a while. Let's hope saner heads prevail. Have you seen the markets lately? Bloodbath.
Be careful, you crazy kids, with what you get up to while in isolation. I've already seen people talking about the Rise of the QuaranTeens in 14 years. ;)
----------------------------
I was fortunate. I was concerned about Trump last fall so I moved everything I manage out of the equities market and into GIC's. I'll only make a little over 3 % this year, but it's a hell of a lot better than losing most of my retirement savings.
Another decent chunk is still held in the union pension fund and I'm concerned what those dummies will do. It's due to transfer to my control in September so I'll find out then how much damage was done.

On the looking for a silver lining front, a retirement home in Alberta is looking a hell of a lot cheaper than it was a few years ago. :?

growaz
Vegging

Post by growaz » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:28 pm

I've been smoking my stuff daily (normally once in a while) since we went into quarantine here in the Netherlands.
Breaking the rule, don't get high on your own supply :lol:

Saboo
Drying

Post by Saboo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:50 pm

growaz wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:28 pm
I've been smoking my stuff daily (normally once in a while) since we went into quarantine here in the Netherlands.
Breaking the rule, don't get high on your own supply :lol:
That's been the best part of this for me: no worries about my weed supply. Even over here we've seen photos of the around-the-block queues at the pot shops in the Netherlands. Legal stores are closing here in Canada, black market prices are going up.

I could be stuck in my home for a year and I'm good, and that's not counting what is in the tents. Makes me glad I don't talk about this stuff locally as I have no desire to be robbed/looted.

Remember the words of the great philosopher:

Be safe.

Jefferson1977
Curing

Post by Jefferson1977 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:44 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ CLASSIC!!! ROFL

I got a good one too :mrgreen:
image000000(1).jpg
image000000(1).jpg (157.24 KiB) Viewed 977 times

Saboo
Drying

Post by Saboo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:11 pm

It's a bit of a mindfuck how quickly the unimaginable becomes normal.

Strange thing 1: I took a walk looking to pick up a few things from whatever store might have have those things in stock. There were 3 different grocery stores I was prepared to hit and knew there was still no guarantee of finding what I wanted. Ten days ago, the idea that I would have to go from store to store searching for basic grocery items was not even on the radar.

Strange thing 2: Surgical masks and dust masks in public are now common. Nobody looks twice.

Strange thing 3: I'm accustomed to comparing $/weight or $/volume of the different brands. Today I was simply happy to have found something like what I wanted.

I feel like I'm adapting well, but due to working seasonal jobs that kept me on the road where I was always adjusting to new environments and adjusting to the huge seasonal income fluctuation, I think I may be a little better prepared mentally. Or maybe not. I have to wonder though, about people who are used to a regular routine who have never had to quickly figure out ,and adapt to, such an upheaval.
Living alone also means I don't have to keep kids happy or get cabin fever being locked up in a small space with others. As an introvert, this is huge. I'm just hunkering down and waiting for however long it takes for the worst to pass.

I hope you are all coping well and staying suitably medicated. ;)

odam2k
Curing

Post by odam2k » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:54 am

I got this one wrong from the start. I was thinking SARS or MERS or any of the other flu's that come along that, although many people were affected, and lots died, we seemed to get a grip on them pretty quick, and eventually, they faded from the news. To be honest, when this thread started, I did not take it seriously.

I'm probably a bit more prepared than most for this to happen.

I'm a non-social type person. I'm (was) a computer programmer, so I spend most of my time with my favorite person, ME! :) My wife is the second favorite person to be with, so we have no problem being isolated together.
We are both on disability, we get paid once a month, so we shop once a month, meaning we have EVERYTHING we need till April 1.
I have a habit of buying two of everything, always having a spare, just an old habit, whenever we can afford it, we will buy a few extra of something, so for a lot of stuff, we're good till the middle of April if we had to stretch, and then on top of that, we bought two big bags of rice and some beans, so in an emergency, we're likely ok till near the end of April.

I'm optimistic that next payday there will still be food on the shelves and while we may skip past the more expensive cuts of meat, we will probably put more thought into grocery shopping than we have in a long time.

On the downside, we live in an apartment building, on the top floor, so coming and going means spending time in an elevator with others, or in a small box where others just left.... The wife has a dog that needs to go out 3 times a day, so she (wife) wears a mask when she goes out. This is probably our biggest weakness. If things get worse, perhaps a piece of sod on the balcony may suffice :)

I'm 60, with most of the medical issues that come from a life of excess... I know how much I whine when I get a cold, so I'm somewhat paranoid about getting this, although if I do, the upside is I'll reset my THC receptors and get absolutely baked when I can finally breath again, assuming I make it :)

My wife is supposed to have a heart valve replacement and bypass before the end of March, it was pretty urgent according to the doctors. We're waiting to hear when, but I hate the idea of her even being close to a hospital at times like this, but worse would be a heart attack or stroke.

As long as we have power, I think we'll be ok. If we lose power for any extended period of time it will get tough... I have solar panels I can put on the balcony, a car battery, and tons of other batteries, like LIPO etc, lots of 12v accessories from camping, like the electric cooler, lantern, handheld ham radio and license, inverters, etc, even a small generator, although I don't keep fuel in the apartment... I still remember the time the power went out all across the northeast US and Canada.... I think we were out for 24 hours, and it was crazy... We did ok though, had an inverter plugged into the car, running in the driveway, and had lights, fan, TV, you know, the important things :)

Who knows where we go from here... There is some woman in the news, she values her freedom more than her life she says, so she's still going out, taking her kids to the gym etc... You know what? I value MY LIFE more than HER FREEDOM. If people don't do this on their own, then honestly, I think the govt is going to move from recommending that you shelter in place, to a full blown curfew, with enforcement, and THAT is a scary thought, because we've all seen movies like that....

As of right now, just passed 10,000 deaths, nearing a quarter million infections. These numbers are growing FAST...

Jefferson1977
Curing

Post by Jefferson1977 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:44 pm

Yeah the infection doubles every 6 days exponentially. Hence why it is such a serious threat, even if the mortality is not super duper high like SARS.

Honestly I feel for your wife and hope she still has her surgery on time and that it goes well with no complications.

We are sheltering in place to avoid spreading the virus and because we can. I am expecting we will have shortages for some time to come. It's crazy how the world changed in a month. This is certainly a unique time in history, I don't recall ever seeing the entire world shutdown like this.

If I was a conspiracy theorist I would say that next we will be under Marshall law, then soon after paper money will be banned (and blamed for spreading the virus) as we move into a cashless system. Since the fed funds rate is at zero, following that will be negative rates. Since most branches are operating under restricted hours or are closed, it will be impossible to do a run on the banks to withdraw your cash. Finally people will be begging for a vaccine which will actually be made mandatory. Grim and dim I know, so let's hope that doesn't happen, but if it does you heard it here...

Jefferson1977
Curing

Post by Jefferson1977 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:57 pm

Chloroquine Phosphate & Zinc 600mg a day for 6 days cured a group of test patients. You can get this as fish medicine as well in the USA.

This is the same medicine that Trump just asked the FDA to expand the usage of (from just Malaria drug). This video is worth a watch. Watch the video until the end, it is well worth it.

Saboo
Drying

Post by Saboo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:21 pm

Jefferson1977 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:44 pm
I don't recall ever seeing the entire world shutdown like this.

If I was a conspiracy theorist I would say that next we will be under Marshall law, then soon after paper money will be banned (and blamed for spreading the virus) as we move into a cashless system. Since the fed funds rate is at zero, following that will be negative rates. Since most branches are operating under restricted hours or are closed, it will be impossible to do a run on the banks to withdraw your cash. Finally people will be begging for a vaccine which will actually be made mandatory. Grim and dim I know, so let's hope that doesn't happen, but if it does you heard it here...
9/11 shut everything down, but it was over fairly fast. It sure as hell was scary though. I agree that this is a very different situation.

The US may have to worry about martial law, but I don't believe it could happen in Canada. I also don't believe in that kind of mass conspiracy theory.

I believe that rich assholes use money and connections to advance their interests and always have, but that's not quite the same thing.

Jefferson1977
Curing

Post by Jefferson1977 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:49 pm

Well Trudeau is looking into enacting the Emergencies Act which would give him powers to restrict movement within the country, and force us to shelter in our homes and vastly restrict our movements. Hopefully he never does, but it is a possibility and at that point would be defacto martial law.

Also I would point out that all of those rights governments granted to themselves and took away from us after 9/11 were never returned or rescinded...that is not a conspiracy theory.

I was in the 10'th floor of an office tower in Toronto when those planes struck. Totally different situation. Millions(billions?) in all countries in the world were not locked down in their homes although planes didn't fly.

And there is no doubt the world changed from that point forward. Hence my point.

Jefferson1977
Curing

Post by Jefferson1977 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:56 am

As it turns out everyone is fine...lol...

growaz
Vegging

Post by growaz » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:20 pm

Chilling here, more work from home tomorrow :))
Funny how some companies were forced to go into the future (work from home) because of this.

Jefferson1977
Curing

Post by Jefferson1977 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:01 pm

I am happy I bought my ozone generator because now I have a new protocol when I come home with groceries or any item from external. I have a big box outside my door and I put groceries in it along with my n95 mask and gloves and then I run the ozone generator. It kills a virus on any surfaces and allows me to reuse my masks. The ozone does however degrade the rubber straps.

odam2k
Curing

Post by odam2k » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:30 pm

What confuses me, they say that a mask is not useful for the average person, unless they have symptoms themselves. So they want people to stop hoarding them so that medical staff can have them.

How does a mask know if the person wearing it is a medical professional?