Joe's Grows - Outdoor 2020

This is a forum to display your outdoor beauties!
GiovanniJones
Vegging

Joe's Grows - Outdoor 2020

Post by GiovanniJones » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:15 pm

The short form of, "Giovanni" is, "Gio" or just Joe, lol.

I thought I'd post this year's outdoor grow info here. I just ordered the following seeds:
  • Humboldt Seeds Organization - Black D.O.G.
  • Dinafem - Strawberry Amnesia
  • Dinafem - Blueberry Cookies
  • CSI Humboldt - Three Queens
  • CSI Humboldt - Purple Urkle s1
I only get to grow four plants outside, legally, so I need to pick four of the above and take one of each into my backyard by the end of May.
I plan on getting a head start and germinating/vegging them in my grow room about mid-April.

For indoors, I'm going to plant in a locally-made living soil that's really awesome; it's base is 40% earthworm castings instead of being mostly peat moss. I'll mix in Gaia Green's All-Purpose 4-4-4 Fertilizer and Kelp Meal according to their package directions, in addition to some dolomite lime and oyster shell flour.

Outside, I will plant directly into the soil in my vegetable garden, but mix in some of the above soil and amendments first. Then, cover with compostable stuff like grass cuttings to feed the critters living underneath. I'm going to focus on organic thinking - feed the soil and let the plants take care of themselves. I love this because there's no "dialing-in" of different strains.

Just hoping that they don't get too big, I don't want monster-sized plants attracting too much attention. Feel free to stick around and offer any comments and advice on what I'm doing, it's all welcome!

GiovanniJones
Vegging

Re: Joe's Grows - Outdoor 2020

Post by GiovanniJones » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:38 pm

What confused me at first was that there are THREE Humboldt seed companies that are really well known! Crazy!
  • Humboldt Seeds Organization
  • Humboldt Seed Company
  • CSI Humboldt
HSC and CSI are legit, extremely well-respected breeders in the US, while HSO is a British-owned, big-Euro company that operates out of Spain and poses as Californian.

The strains from HSC and CSI are supposed to be solid across the board, while you have to pick strains very carefully from HSO based on online reviews. Or so I've been told.

GiovanniJones
Vegging

Post by GiovanniJones » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:52 pm

Well,

I recently tried to find a source where I can purchase Humboldt Seed Company seeds in Canada and finally found a place.
I may just grab some of these, and hopefully won't buy any seeds for a while. I'm going to get Humboldt Dream and maybe Blueberry Muffins.
This may affect what does into my backyard this summer and what ends up in the grow room.

Jefferson1977
Curing

Post by Jefferson1977 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:04 pm

I ran HSO Bubba Kush 2.0, it was meh (not like pre 96 Bubba). Their Mango Saphire was good, really strong, not a super high yield though. Their Pineapple Skunk is one I will run this summer outdoors.
So many strains, so little time...

GiovanniJones
Vegging

Post by GiovanniJones » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:36 am

Yeah, I’d only get seeds from HSO if there are a lot of great reviews.

I’m trying to find a source for Humboldt Seed Company seeds. If I can get my hands on their Humbolt Dream feminized seeds, I’d order a pack.

Freedom Seed
Sprout

Post by Freedom Seed » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:34 pm

Hi Joe.

If you want to feed the soil I will tell you about the best thing I have ever seen for improving soil. I made some bio char out of hardwood branches, weeds, sunflowers, etc basically all my yard junk. When it burns down spray it with a garden hose to get the high ph ash off. Important because you are going to inoculate it. Put into a container with some wet coffee grounds, aquarium filter muck, a bit of coconut coir for the trichoderma fungi. The charcoal will adsorb a lot of these organics. Mix it in lightly into your dirt. It makes fungi grow like crazy, it’s a carbon source for them and has lots of surface area because of the steam from washing it.

I’m doing:
Jack Herer
Island Dream
Local Haze (a brickweed sativa based on Columbia Redhair from the 70’s)
Jack x Black Widow
Kodiak Gold x Big Freeze
Malawi/Meo Thai x PCK pheno 2 (Malawi pheno)
SSH x Blueberry
Neville’s Haze/Mango Haze x C99
Banger Haze x SSH
Mazar-I-Sharif/PCK x Lebanon (Whish)
DinaMed 2 (Dinafem)

But we grow as a group, with multiple yards. Mention to your friends free clones if you join the group. Lots for everybody and variety too!

GiovanniJones
Vegging

Post by GiovanniJones » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:38 pm

I've just been discovering biochar. How do you apply it? Do you mix a certain ratio into your soil or top-dress? Or both maybe?
That group sounds really cool!

Freedom Seed
Sprout

Post by Freedom Seed » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:35 pm

Go light with it you don’t need much. I did some coco coir pots with about 5% and it worked well. In dirt I spread it pretty thin and mix it in. Precious stuff, I never have enough. You can load it right up with organic fertilizers, great for stinky stuff the charcoal sucks it right in.

Jefferson1977
Curing

Post by Jefferson1977 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:55 pm

I burn wood for heat so this is interesting to me. I have a great big organic dirt pile that I mix all of our organic waste into and I also dumped the wood ash in there and mix it around. In the summertime when I plant my plants I usually just use sheep manure and add a couple scoops of this in each hole.
So many strains, so little time...